Managing site groups
Groups can be managed in Administration>Sites>Groups. Each site has its own set of groups, which are in addition to the groups that are managed at the server level or in an external user and group directory (for example, LDAP). The site groups can only be used in the site itself, they cannot be used in other sites or projects.
By default, a site has one group: site-administrators.
Creating a group
You can create a group to organize your users.
To create a group:
- Click on Create new group and enter a name in the Group name field.
- Click Add. Once the group has been successfully created, the updated list of groups displays.
When a group is created, it is initially empty.
Adding and removing members
After creating a group, add users to the group. If necessary, later remove users as needed.
To add or remove group members:
- In the list of groups, click on the group that you want to edit or you can select the group and click Edit .
- To add members to the group, click Edit Membership.
A list of all users on the platform displays in alphabetical order. If the platform contains a large number of users, you can enter a name or part of a name in the search field at the top of the window.
- To add users to the group, select the checkbox next to their names. To remove existing group members, clear the box.
- Click Save.
- You can also add existing groups by selecting the Groups tab. You also use checkboxes to select the groups that you want to add. To remove a member from a group, select the user in the list and click Remove.
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Removing a group
You can remove groups that you no longer need.
To remove a group:
- Go to the list of groups.
- Click Remove next to the group you wish to remove.
Members of the group (users or groups) are not deleted from the system.
Duplicating a group
If you need to define a new group with similar members to those in another group, you can duplicate an existing group.
To duplicate a group:
- Click Copy next to the group name.
- Enter a name for the new group.
- Now all you need to do is add or remove members from the new group, without having to go through the entire group configuration process again.
Using groups with roles
Edit Roles and Live Roles can be assigned to users or groups in Content Editor on a specific node (page, content item, and more). The permissions associated with the role are then conferred to the users and the members of the designated groups. For more information, see Specifying advanced options in Content Editor.
External group providers
Jahia allows a connection between a specific website and an external group provider (for example, LDAP). First, ask your current server administrator to connect Jahia with the external group provider you want to have access to. When the connection is made, the server administrator has to link it to your website through the target site field. When this is done, you will find all the users and groups from this external provider into your Groups entry in the site administration.